Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Summertime Flashback #1

My Manny and I went on several walks this past Summer, some of them
all the way up to Elizabeth Park. The first time that we walked there I
fell asleep on the way, and when he woke me up we were completely surrounded by ducks. I was very impressed! So impressed, in fact,
that I decided to learn a new word, right there on the spot.



Another time we walked to the center, and on the way we saw a green heron - a very beautiful bird! Here is a picture of it sitting on a rock
in the brook, with a handy arrow to indicate its exact position...


...and here is another picture of the same species of bird, stolen from the intartubes, and likely not taken with a cameraphone at a great distance...


After we saw the bird on our walk, we went right to the bookstore
to grab a Sibley guide and look it up. At a distance we thought
it might be a young blue heron, but when we spotted the listing
for the green heron we knew that's exactly what it was.
Here is a photograph of our moment of discovery:


And what I said before about the Summer heat baking the brain is
definitely true. How else can you explain why I would try to balance
a horse on my head? Handy tip: If the weather is very warm, a
stuffed horse atop the head will not help to keep you cool.

No comments: